Although I don't like to take mine off for long enough to wash it, sometimes you gotta realize that a clean spirithood is a happy spirithood. And wouldn't it be so easy if they just came with a tag like this:
I can promise you from experience that if you wash your spirit hood correctly, it will come back as fluffy as when you received it, and it will smell even better. Here is what I do:
1. Begin filling a sink with luke warm water
2. Add some liquid laundry detergent to the running water to make it nice and bubbly
3. Once the sink is about half full, put your spirit hood completely in the water.
4. Gently move your spirit hood around and make sure that it gets completely wet
5. Leave it in the sink with sudsy water for about 20 minutes
6. Drain the water from the sink and rinse off all of the soapy detergent from your hood
7. Gently ring all of the water from the hood. The fur likes to hold on to a lot of the water, but squeeze as much out as you can
8. Let your SpiritHood hang dry for a couple of days until it is completely dry
9. At this point the fur will look kind of messy and matted, but that's ok! When the hood is dry, you can brush out the fur with a hair brush.
10. Your hood will be as good as new!
I also regularly brush out the fur on my hoods when it doesn't look as fluffy and pretty! This is a great quick fix between cleanings :) If you have any other tips on how to keep your spirit hood clean, please post a comment!